This cheeseburger pie post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please see my/our full disclosure further information.
Do you like cheeseburgers? Do you like flakey pie crust? If you answered “yes” to either of these questions, then you must make this recipe! This easy, low-calorie meal comes together in an hour (which includes time to cool), and is sure to be a hit with your family! I serve this meat pie with a garden salad for a complete meal. My Cheeseburger Pie recipe will become a part of your weekly rotation in no time.
You might be thinking, “why a cheeseburger pie”? Well, let me tell you why: it’s delicious, easy, and cheap. The first time I had a cheeseburger pie was at my friend’s house. It was late, after a night of drinking, and he had one that his mom had made for him at his apartment. Honestly, I know that everything tastes good while you’re drunk.. But Mrs. S’s pie was out of this world. My friend had always mentioned that his favorite food was “meat pies” and I didn’t really understand it until this night. I had tasted Aussie meat pies before, but this one that his mom made was on an entirely different level.
From what I can remember, my friend’s mom’s pie was made of ground beef, cheese, and pie crust. Truly, I don’t remember what else, but it was fantastic. I’ve been dying to take a stab at a similar pie ever since I had this one.
Anyway, whether you’re feeding your family on a busy Wednesday, or digging in while standing at your kitchen counter after a night out, this recipe is a winner. I don’t think this recipe does Mrs. S’s justice.. But I still think it’s fantastic!
Here’s what you’ll need to a make my Cheeseburger Pie:
- frozen pie crust
- ground beef or ground turkey
- cheddar cheese (best to get a block and shred it on your own)
- white onion
- 4 tbsp pickles
- yellow mustard
- worcestershire sauce
- italian seasoning blend
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- unsalted butter
- 1 frozen pie crust
- 1 lb 96% lean ground beef
- 7 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 tbsp pickles, diced
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 3 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp italian seasoning blend
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F. While the oven is preheating, melt butter in a large nonstick pan over medium. Once butter is melted and glistening, add the diced onion, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning blend. Cook until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Push the onion off to the side of the pan, and add your ground beef, breaking it up using a wooden spoon. Cook until no longer pink, about 6-8 minutes. (Please note, if you do not use super lean ground beef, you will need to drain the fat. Trust me, this recipe is amazing with lean beef). Turn the heat down to low, and mix the onions and ground beef.
- While on very low heat, add ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chopped pickles, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix to combine, then take the pan off the heat.
- Add 3 oz of the shredded cheese to the meat mixture and stir to combine. Pour the cheeseburger base into the frozen pie crust. Then, top with remaining 4 oz of shredded cheddar cheese. Make sure the cheese is spread evenly.
- Move the pie (in the aluminum pie pan it comes in) onto a sheet pan. Bake for a total of 40 minutes, checking at the 15 and 30-minute marks. You might want to rotate the pie at these intervals, depending on your oven. You don’t want the cheese or the crust to brown unevenly.
- Now for the hardest part… once the pie is finished cooking, take it out of the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with a big green salad. Enjoy!