This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please see our full disclosure further information..
This creamy chicken and sun-dried tomato pasta post may contain affiliate links. Therefore, we may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Anyway, please see my/our full disclosure further information.
Growing up, my mom made a delicious pasta dish that consisted of chicken, mushrooms, and sun-dried tomatoes… this is my take! This dish is decadent without being too heavy. In addition, you can easily omit the chicken to make this vegetarian-friendly. In addition, this recipe is appropriate year-round. You can also use frozen asparagus to make this more budget-friendly.
I love orecchiette because the sauce sticks better. Also, fun fact: did you know that orecchiette means little ear in Italian?
This dish is creamy, cheesy, and very filling! It’s reminiscent of a childhood favorite of mine, but leveled up! You can easily omit the chicken if you want a vegetarian take on this pasta dish. If you re-heat this, I suggest warming it in a saucepan with a little bit of added water to loosen up the sauce.
What you need to make seasoned and salted’s creamy Chicken and Sun-Dried Tomato Orecchiette:
- pasta of your choice (I love orecchiette for this)
- boneless, skinless chicken breast
- olive oil
- heavy cream
- low sodium chicken broth
- all-purpose flour
- unsalted butter
- garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- reserved pasta water
Enjoy, and as always, please let me know if you make this recipe – and if you do, don’t forget to tag @seasonedandsalted and #seasonedandsalted on Instagram!
Creamy Chicken and Sun-Dried Tomato Orecchiette
- 8 oz pasta
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 oz sun dried tomatoes julienned
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 8 oz asparagus cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup heavy cream or dairy alternative
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground pepper
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- 1 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano grated
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium high heat, until glistening. Meanwhile, season cut up chicken breast with 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning, 1/4 tbsp salt, and 1/2 tbsp pepper, add to the pan.
- Cook the chicken breast until golden and crooked through, about 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp unsalted butter to your pan, along with mushrooms, 3 crushed garlic cloves, and 2 tbsp rosemary. Stirring occasionally, cook until the mushrooms have softened a bit, about 5-6 minutes. Add the asparagus, mix, and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add 1/4 cup flour to the pan, and mix, coating evenly. Cook for 2 more minutes. Then, add 1 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1 tsp paprika, and the remaining 1/4 tbsp salt and 1/2 tbsp pepper. Mix to combine, then bring to a slow boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add 4 oz julienned sun-dried tomatoes, chicken, and 1/2 cup reserved pasta water, mix to combine. Then add the cooked pasta and toss to coat evenly.
- Take the pan off the heat, add 1 oz grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and mix. Serve immediately.