Who doesn’t love a big, steaming hot pan of ground turkey nachos? These turkey nachos are piled high with delicious toppings, and of course, perfectly melted cheese. Ground turkey nachos are a flavorful twist on the classic Mexican dish.They feature seasoned and cooked ground turkey as a lean alternative to traditional beef.The savory turkey, combined with melted cheese, fresh toppings, and crisp tortilla chips, creates a delicious and satisfying nacho experience with a lighter touch. Looking for more gameday snacks? Check out my Healthy Buffalo Wings!
One-pan oven ground turkey nachos offer a convenient and effortless way to whip up a delicious and satisfying meal. Start by seasoning and cooking lean ground turkey on a single baking sheet, ensuring minimal cleanup. Layering tortilla chips and topping them with the seasoned turkey, melted cheese, and any desired extras such as black beans, diced tomatoes, and jalapeños, creates a harmonious blend of flavors. The oven’s heat transforms the dish into a melty, crunchy delight, with all the components melding together to perfection. Also, this easy, one-pan approach simplifies the cooking process, making it a go-to option for busy weeknights or casual gatherings.
The beauty of one-pan oven turkey nachos lies not only in their simplicity but also in the versatility they offer. Of course, personalization is key, allowing individuals to tailor the toppings to their liking. The baking sheet acts as a canvas for creativity, and the even heat distribution in the oven ensures that every chip is adorned with the perfect amount of gooey cheese and flavorful turkey. Whether served as a quick family dinner or a crowd-pleasing party snack, these one-pan oven ground turkey nachos strike a delightful balance between ease of preparation and delicious, shareable enjoyment.
Table of contents
why you’ll love these ground turkey nachos
- Effortless preparation – Enjoy the ease of crafting delicious ground turkey nachos using just one pan in the oven. This streamlined approach minimizes effort and cleanup, making it a perfect choice for a quick and hassle-free meal.
- Versatility – Elevate your culinary creativity with one-pan oven turkey nachos. The ample space allows for easy customization of toppings, cheeses, and additional ingredients, ensuring a versatile and adaptable dish tailored to your taste preferences.
- Even cooking – Experience the perfection of turkey nachos with even cooking in the oven. The consistent heat distribution ensures that the turkey is perfectly seasoned, and the cheese melts uniformly.
- Reduced cleanup – Embrace the simplicity of one-pan oven preparation, not only for cooking but also for cleanup. Indulge in the savory goodness of turkey nachos without the burden of a sink full of dishes, making it a practical and time-saving option for busy individuals or families.
- Balanced and healthier option – Choose a leaner protein source and relish the rich flavors of ground turkey nachos. Baked to perfection in the oven, this recipe offers a healthier alternative to traditional beef. Using ground turkey provides a guilt-free and satisfying option for those mindful of their dietary choices.
what ingredients do you need to make ground turkey nachos?
- Ground turkey – Anchors the flavorful foundation of ground turkey nachos, providing a savory and hearty profile to the dish.
- Taco seasoning – Elevates the taste of ground turkey nachos, infusing the meat with a distinctive blend of spices for a delicious and well-seasoned experience.
- Tortilla chips – Form the crispy and crunchy base for ground turkey nachos, adding texture and structure to the layers of delightful ingredients.
- Black beans – Enhance the protein and fiber content of turkey nachos, contributing both nutritional value and a satisfying texture.
- Monterey jack cheese – Melts to perfection on ground turkey nachos, creating a gooey and creamy texture that complements the spiced meat.
- Lite mexican cheese blend – Adds a flavorful and melty combination to ground turkey nachos, enhancing the overall cheesiness with a lighter touch.
- Roma tomatoes – Introduce a fresh and juicy element to ground turkey nachos, balancing richness with a burst of natural sweetness and acidity.
- Red onion – Provides a sharp and crisp flavor, contributing a mild bite that complements the other ingredients on ground turkey nachos.
- Jalapeno – Infuses a hint of heat and a fresh, vibrant kick to ground turkey nachos, enhancing the overall taste experience.
- Cilantro leaves – Contribute a refreshing and herbal note, brightening up turkey nachos with a burst of aromatic flavor.
substitutions for ground turkey nachos
- Protein – Elevate the flavor profile of ground turkey nachos by substituting with options like ground beef, chicken, pork, or plant-based crumbles for a different twist.
- Seasoning – Enhance the taste of ground turkey nachos by creating a homemade taco seasoning using cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and a pinch of cayenne as an alternative to store-bought seasoning.
- Cheese – Experiment with cheese varieties such as cheddar, pepper jack, or a Mexican blend to add a unique touch to your ground turkey nachos, replacing the traditional Monterey Jack or lite Mexican cheese.
- Beans – Customize the texture and flavor of your ground turkey nachos by swapping black beans with pinto beans, kidney beans, or a mix of your favorite beans.
- Toppings – Personalize your ground turkey nachos with diced avocados, green onions, or different salsa options to create a delicious and satisfying combination of flavors.
- Vegetables – If roma tomatoes are unavailable, use cherry tomatoes or regular tomatoes to bring a fresh and juicy element to your ground turkey nachos. Try various onions like green onions or white onions for added crunch and flavor.
- Spice level – Tailor the heat of your ground turkey nachos by choosing milder or spicier peppers like bell peppers or banana peppers instead of jalapenos.
- Herbs – Substitute cilantro with parsley or green onions to bring a different herbaceous flavor to your ground turkey nachos, creating a well-rounded and delightful dish.
how do I make ground turkey nachos?
Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Cook olive oil over medium heat in a non-stick skillet until glistening. Add ground turkey, and break up using a wooden spoon. Cook until browned and heated through. Add ⅔ cup of water and contents of the taco seasoning packet. Mix to combine, and continue to simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and set aside.
Wipe the skillet clean. Lay out half of the tortilla chips in a single layer in the skillet. Next, add half of the ground turkey and half of the beans. Top with half of the cheese.
Repeat layering ontop with the remaining chips, beans and turkey, and cheese.
Bake in the oven for 7-8 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Top the ground turkey nachos with red onion, tomato, jalapeño slices, and cilantro. Serve immediately. Drizzle with sour cream or greek yogurt and add additional toppings, if desired.
- How can I make taco seasoning at home for turkey nachos? – Combine cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and a pinch of cayenne to create a homemade taco seasoning for your ground turkey nachos.
- What can I use if I don’t have roma tomatoes for my turkey nachos? – Cherry tomatoes or regular tomatoes are excellent alternatives if you don’t have roma tomatoes on hand.
- Can I make turkey nachos with dietary restrictions, such as gluten-free or dairy-free? – Yes, you can! Use gluten-free tortilla chips for a gluten-free option, and choose dairy-free or vegan cheese alternatives for a dairy-free version.
- Are there healthier alternatives for ground turkey nachos? – Yes, you can opt for whole-grain or baked tortilla chips, lean proteins, and load up on veggies to make nachos a healthier snack or meal.
serving suggestions for turkey nachos
- Wine pairing – A crisp and acidic Sauvignon Blanc can be a great choice. Its citrusy and herbal notes can cut through the richness of the cheese and enhance the freshness of the toppings of the ground turkey nachos. Alternatively, you could try a fruit and bold Zinfandel. Zinfandel can pair well with the savory elements of the ground turkey nachos and the richness of the cheese.
- Fresh guacamole – Top your nachos with a generous serving of fresh guacamole for a creamy and flavorful addition. Looking for a guacamole recipe? Check out my Chunky Guacamole.
reheating your nachos
- Preheat your oven to around 350°F (175°C).
- Place the nachos on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- If the nachos have toppings like cheese, cover them with aluminum foil to prevent burning.
- Reheat for about 10-15 minutes, or until the nachos are heated through and the cheese is melted.
It’s essential to keep an eye on the nachos to prevent them from becoming too crispy or burning. Add any cold toppings, like fresh salsa or guacamole, after reheating to maintain their freshness and flavor.
Enjoy, and as always, please let me know if you make this recipe – and if you do, don’t forget to tag @seasonedandsalted and #seasonedandsalted on Instagram!
The Best Ground Turkey Nachos Perfect for Football Season
- cutting board
- chef’s knife
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- sheet pan
- Oven-Safe Skillet (I use my braiser)
- 1 pound ground turkey you can use beef or chicken if you want, but I prefer turkey
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 8 ounces tortilla chips
- ¾ 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained (10 oz)
- 1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese shredded
- ½ cup lite Mexican cheese blend shredded
- 2 roma tomatoes seeds removed then diced
- ½ cup red onion diced
- 1 jalapeno thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Optional Toppings: corn kernels sliced olives, avocado, sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Cook olive oil over medium heat in a non-stick skillet until glistening. Add ground turkey, and break up using a wooden spoon. Cook until browned and heated through. Add ⅔ cup of water and contents of the taco seasoning packet. Mix to combine, and continue to simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and set aside.
- Wipe the skillet clean. Lay out half of the tortilla chips in a single layer in the skillet. Next, add half of the ground turkey and half of the beans. Top with half of the cheese. Repeat layering ontop with the remaining chips, beans and turkey, and cheese. and bake in the oven for 7-8 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Top the nachos with red onion, tomato, jalapeño slices, and cilantro. Serve immediately. Drizzle with sour cream or greek yogurt and add additional toppings, if desired.