This turkey chili post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please see my/our full disclosure further information.
I love a good hearty bowl of chili. This recipe is a nice, simple stovetop recipe that can be prepared in just under an hour. For this chili recipe, I used turkey because I wanted a lighter chili that I could truly enjoy without feeling gluttonous. Besides, the fun part about chili are the toppings, right?
Now, although I used ground turkey, you could easily omit it and add more beans or sautéed veggies to make this vegetarian. You can also use beef if you’d like!
My favorite way to serve my turkey chili is with a bunch of sides prepared so everyone can customize their own bowl! I like to offer 0% greek yogurt (a great sour cream alternative), sliced jalapeños, sliced scallions, diced red onion, sliced black olives, cheese, and hot sauce! The possibilities are endless when it comes to chili toppings.
I like to say that this turkey chili recipe makes 8 generous servings… beware though, people will want seconds! (I write this as I finish my second bowl of the evening).
What you need to make seasoned and salted’s healthy and hearty turkey chili:
- ground turkey breast
- chopped chiles
- black beans
- kidney or pinto beans
- corn kernels
- diced tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- olive oil
- bay leaves
- ground cumin
- adobo seasoning
Enjoy, and as always, please let me know if you make this recipe – and if you do, don’t forget to tag @seasonedandsalted and #seasonedandsalted on Instagram!
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 onion diced
- 1 jalapeño diced
- 1 4.5 oz can of chopped chilies
- 1 15 oz can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can of kidney (or pinto) beans drained and rinsed
- 8 oz corn kernels frozen
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt kosher
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp adobo seasoning
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the diced onion and jalapeño and stir. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and break up the meat into small pieces using a wooden spoon. Cook until the ground turkey is browned and cooked through, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients (chopped chiles, black beans, kidney or pinto beans, corn kernels, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, bay leaves, cumin, and adobo seasoning). Stir everything to combine, and cover. Turn the heat up and bring to a boil. Stir once more, then turn the heat down to a simmer. Cover and cook for 45 minutes. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
- To serve, add the toppings of your choice. I love 0% fat greek yogurt, sliced scallions, jalapeños, and shredded cheese!