This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please see our full disclosure further information..
This chocolate chunk banana bread post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please see our full disclosure further information.
This double chocolate chunk banana bread is super moist and delicious. It’s so rich and chocolatey, and the greek yogurt adds a little tang! I mean, how many times have you found yourself with a couple of bananas about to go bad? Trust me, bookmark or save this recipe and you’ll be happy you did once you find yourself with some almost-too-ripe bananas.
where did the inspiration behind this recipe come from?
I’ll admit, I’m not a huge fan of bananas. Like, I hate when you have one of those unreal chocolate smoothies and then you get hit with the taste of banana. I like my banana to be subtle. So, why do I have a chocolate chunk banana bread recipe? Eric. I
blame thank him for this recipe. He asked me to grab some bananas for his shakes and then next thing I knew, he was out of town for a bachelor party. And he left me with very ripe (almost brown) bananas. The nerve.
So, more about this insane double chocolate chunk banana bread… It’s obviously extremely chocolatey, but the best part about this loaf is that it’s super moist (thank you greek yogurt). It’s almost like a cake baked in a loaf pan. Like, that’s seriously how moist and delicious this bread is. I actually went back and forth on whether or not to call this recipe a cake or a bread.
What you need to make seasoned and salted’s double chocolate chunk banana bread:
- unsalted butter
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- kosher salt
- baking soda
- cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- all-purpose flour
- chocolate chips, baking bar, or baking wafers (just make sure they’re semi-sweet)
Enjoy, and as always, please let me know if you make this recipe – and if you do, don’t forget to tag @seasonedandsalted and #seasonedandsalted on Instagram!
Double Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread
- stand mixer
- mixing bowls (if not using stand mixer)
- whisk (if not using stand mixer)
- 9×5 loaf pan
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, unsalted at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt I use 0% fat
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 48 g semi-sweet chocolate chunks, chips, or cut up chocolate bar plus more for on top
- nonstick spray (I use avocado oil spray)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Next, coat a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray (my favorite to use is avocado oil). Then, line the bottom of the pan across with parchment paper (meaning it doesn't go up four sides, just two sides across from each other). Set aside.
- You can make this recipe in a stand mixer (my favorite method) or with a large mixing bowl and hand mixer/whisk. Adapt the following steps to whichever method you are using.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter and sugar. Mix them together on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Next, let's add in the eggs, vanilla extract, greek yogurt, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. Mix for 1-2 minutes until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary with a spatula.
- Add the mashed bananas and mix until combined. Then, turn the mixer to a low setting and slowly add the flour. Mix until the flour is completely incorporated before adding the chocolate chunks. Once the chunks are mixed in, you're ready to go!
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and top with extra chocolate if you'd like. Bake the banana bread for 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 25 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.